The Healing Power of Home, a volunteer initiative, represents one of the most powerful lessons learned during the camp rehousing effort: Providing a home literally saves lives and improves health. Homeless people have a very high rate of mortality. Our volunteer initiative re-integrates people who have suffered homelessness back into the community, seeking to be true neighbors to the most vulnerable members of our community. Until all of us have a home, no one is truly home from this disaster.
Make a Difference, Save a Homeless Person’s Life by Volunteering:
At our warehouse:
- Sort donated household goods
- Inventory donated household goods
- Make bedding kits and toiletry kits
At our office:
- Research and data entry for our new Faith Community Initiative
- Website design and graphic design
- Public Policy work
- Fundraising work
- Help our moving team
- Pick up donated household goods, toiletries, and cleaning supplies
- Deliver furniture and household goods to clients
- Truck schedule depends upon availability; 2-3 days notice is given
- May involve heavy lifting; no driving necessary
Congregations and service groups are needed for housewarming projects. All volunteers will receive a brief orientation including an introduction to the homeless situation in New Orleans pre- and post-Katrina and the scope of UNITY of Greater New Orleans work.
For more information, contact UNITY Volunteer/Warehouse Coordinator, Joe Heeren-Mueller at (504) 483-9300 or email@example.com.